The uber-leftists of “The Squad” are not happy that Joe Biden’s Department of Homeland Security chief, Alejandro Mayorkas, is suggesting new wall construction could begin again after the president signed an executive order first-thing upon his arrival in the Oval Office.
Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., railed against the Biden administration for even suggesting it would resort to former President Donald Trump’s border wall strategy even as the White House continues to struggle with a massive migrant surge.
It’s shameful and unacceptable for @POTUS to continue the construction of Trump’s xenophobic and racist wall.
— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) April 7, 2021
“It’s shameful and unacceptable for @POTUS to continue the construction of [former President Donald] Trump’s xenophobic and racist wall,” she complained in a Wednesday tweet, which she has the luxury of doing because she’s not in charge of the country.
Last week, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas told Immigration and Customs Enforcement staffers the White House is considering plans to complete some “gaps in the wall” along the southwest border, though the president cut off funding already, The Washington Times reported.
“It’s not a single answer to a single question. There are different projects that the chief of the Border Patrol has presented and the acting commissioner of CBP presented to me,” he told ICE staffers, adding that he is not interested in getting rid of the agency like Omar and the rest of her socialist Squad have called for.
“The president has communicated quite clearly his decision that the emergency that triggered the devotion of DOD funds to the construction of the border wall is ended. But that leaves room to make decisions as the administration, as part of the administration, in particular areas of the wall that need renovation, particular projects that need to be finished,” he added.
That includes “gates,” “gaps” and places “where the wall has been completed but the technology has not been implemented.”
At a press conference on Wednesday, White Hosue press secretary Jen Psaki said most wall construction has been paused but not all of it.
“Wall construction remains paused, to the extent permitted by law. So some has already been funded through a congressional authorization and funding allocation,” she said.
“It’s paused while agencies are developing a plan for the president on the management of the federal funds. When the administration took office … funds had been diverted from congressionally appropriated military construction projects and other appropriated purposes toward building the wall. And wall construction was being challenged in multiple lawsuits — and for much of the wall, I should say; not all of it — by plaintiffs who allege serious environmental and safety issues,” she continued.
“Under those circumstances, federal agencies are continuing to review wall contracts and develop a plan to submit to the president soon,” but at this time “it is paused. There is some limited construction that has been funded and allocated for, but it is otherwise paused,” she added.
Unlike Vice President Harris, who has yet to go to the border even though Biden appointed her “border czar,” Omar actually has gone.
“For me, it took me back to being a young kid, just like themselves,” Omar said, according to Fox News. “I myself was a child who fled, like these kids, unconscionable violence.”
“So I know that for the parents that have made the decision to have their kids take on this journey [they] are making a responsible decision because they want their kids to live,” she later added.
Go to Source
Author: Jonathan Davis