Police officer shot in head while responding to a dispute between neighbors – gunman taken down

INDEPENDENCE, MO– An Independence police officer was in stable condition in the hospital after being shot in the head while responding to a dispute between neighbors. The officer has since been released from the hospital.

According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP), who is actively investigating the incident, Independence police responded to reports of a shooting on March 31st around 11:20 p.m.

Authorities said that a man with a rifle was shooting at another house from his backyard in some sort of dispute. The gunman was fatally shot by the officer. Sgt. Bill Lowe, a spokesman with MSHP said that a rifle was found at the scene, but further details about the weapon are not yet available. 

When officers arrived on scene, shots were fired between the police and the armed suspect. According to MSHP, the officer was shot in the head and taken to a nearby hospital were he was reported conscious and stable.

Lowe said that the officer was a seven-year veteran with the Independence Police Department (IPD). On Thursday, April 1st, the Independence Police Department tweeted that the officer who was shot in the head had been released from the hospital:

“Great news! Our officer who was shot in last night’s incident was released from the hospital. Please continue all media related inquires on the incident to @MSHPTrooperA who is investigating the shooting.”

The armed suspect was also taken to the hospital where he later died from his injuries. MSHP has identified the armed suspect as 35-year-old Aaron C. Pouche. Reportedly, there had been a longtime ongoing feud between him and the neighbor.

Details about that feud have not been released. MSHP did state, however, that the feud had resulted in several disputes including threats of violence. This is an ongoing investigation. 

On Friday, March 26th, a Texas state trooper was shot multiple times in an ambush while pulling over to assist the driver of a disabled vehicle in Mexia, just south of Dallas. The trooper, identified as Chad Walker has died from his injuries after falling into a coma that lasted for several days.

According to authorities, Walker was shot multiple times through the windshield by the driver before he could even bring his patrol car to a stop. The suspect, since identified as 36-year-old DeArthur Pinson, Jr., was found dead in an apparent suicide hours after the shooting.

On Wednesday, March 31st, officials tweeted:

“It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that DPS announces the passing of Trooper Chad Walker. Trooper Walker was a hero who bravely served his community. He died following injuries sustained while on patrol.”

The Texas Department of Public Safety tweeted:

“A beloved father and husband, Trooper Walker was one of DPS’ finest. His dedication to duty and his selfless sacrifice, in both life and his death, will never be forgotten.”

According to authorities, Walker had “no viable brain activity” and was on life support so that his organs could be donated. DPS Director Steven McCraw said in a statement:

“Our DPS family is absolutely heartbroken at the loss of one of our brothers in uniform who was killed in the line of duty.”

He added:

“Texas Highway Patrol Trooper Chad Walker was committed to protecting the people of Texas. His sacrifice will never be forgotten and we ask that you keep his family, friends, and colleagues in your prayers during the difficult days ahead.”

Governor Greg Abbott released a statement on the death of Trooper Walker:

“Our hearts are with the family and friends of Trooper Walker as they grieve his tragic death in the line of duty. Trooper Walker’s horrific murder is a solemn reminder of the dangers law enforcement officers face every day to keep our communities safe.”

He added:

“We will always support law enforcement here in Texas and we are indebted to the sacrifices that they make to serve and protect their fellow Texans.”

Walker leaves behind a wife, a 15-year-old son, twin 7-year-old daughters, and a 2-month-old daughter. He began his law enforcement career in 2003 and worked with the Department of Public Safety since 2015. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Officer Down: Sheriff’s deputy shot and killed while trying to stop a man from taking his own life

February 2nd, 2021

KILN, MS – A Hancock Sheriff’s deputy was reportedly shot and killed on the afternoon of February 1st nearby the town of Kiln in Mississippi.

According to authorities, the sheriff’s deputy was allegedly shot by an armed suspect in a firefight when responding to a home 20 miles north of Kiln.

Very few details have been released regarding the incident that sheriff’s deputies responded to on the afternoon of February 1st.

What has been revealed is that the deceased sheriff’s deputy, identified as Lieutenant Michael Boutte, was shot allegedly by an armed suspect who had been threatening to shoot himself.

Following the shooting of the deputy, Lieutenant Boutte was reportedly airlifted to the University Medical Center in New Orleans, Louisiana – however, Lieutenant Boutte succumbed to his sustained injuries shortly after being airlifted.

A second deputy was said to have responded to the scene of the shooting, and non-fatally shot the suspect who allegedly shot Lieutenant Boutte.

The suspect in this case has not yet been identified, with the New Orleans ATF reportedly providing assistance to the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office in the ongoing investigation.

The suspect was also reportedly airlifted to a nearby hospital for treatment after the shooting. Details on the suspect’s condition have not been revealed as of this time.

Lieutenant Boutte was described as being an 8-year veteran of law enforcement and also a United States Air Force veteran as well. Lieutenant Boutte had also attended the United States Marine Corps Police Academy and served in the reserves in New Orleans.

During Lieutenant Boutte’s time with the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office, he was reportedly regarded as a leader among his peers and was also awarded the Life Saving Medal for saving a child’s life.

Further accolades regarding his contributions to the sheriff’s department included him organizing the National Crime Night Out and helping initiate the Silver Alert Database for the city of Diamondhead.

When speaking on the tragic loss of Lieutenant Boutte, Sheriff Ricky Adam stated the following:

“Mike was an incredible deputy and more so a fine person. He was a mentor to our younger deputies, and I know he will be greatly missed by his peers.”

“You never saw him without a smile or a positive attitude. I can’t begin to describe the heartbreak we are all experiencing right now. My thoughts, prayers and heart go out to his family and loved ones.”

The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is also assisting with the ongoing investigation. 

This is a developing story.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather further insight into this developing case.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In other recent developments regarding sheriff’s deputies killed in the line of duty, a judge in Florida recently denied bond for the man accused of killing a Hillsborough County Sheriff’s deputy earlier in January. 

Here’s that previous report. 


BRADON, FL – Bail has reportedly been denied for the 28-year-old suspect that is accused of ramming his vehicle into the patrol car of 54-year-old Corporal Brian LaVigne, which killed the sheriff’s deputy back on January 11th, 2020.

On January 25th, prosecutors from the Hillsborough State Attorney’s office shared bodycam footage during a pretrial detention hearing to determine if bail would be afforded for Travis Zachary Garrett – the man accused of killing Cpl. LaVigne.

It was back on January 11th when Hillsborough County Sheriff’s deputies were called out to the Paddock Club apartments in Brandon due to reported disturbances – twice. On the first response, deputies were informed that Garrett had allegedly smashed some glass outside of his apartment.

By the time deputies had arrived at the first call, they had encountered Garrett through his apartment doorway and Garrett apparently made some rude or obscene comment – but went back inside the apartment.

But on the second call to the Paddock Club apartments, deputies were told that Garrett was allegedly wandering around naked while tossing items outside of his apartment.

It was on the second response to the apartment complex where Cpl. LaVigne lost his life.

Reportedly, the footage showcased Garrett adorning nothing but a pair of sandals and carrying a backpack that he eventually placed into the trunk of a silver Nissan. From there the suspect allegedly produces a cell phone and takes a selfie while smiling.

Thereafter, Garrett was said to have gotten into the driver seat of his Nissan while a deputy was trying to gain control of him.

A skirmish of sorts transpired, with Garrett allegedly lunging at deputies and then falling to the ground after getting hit with a Taser.

However, the Taser hardly affected the suspect, and Garrett reportedly got back up and went back inside of his vehicle.

During a portion of the skirmish with deputies on site, Garrett was alleged to have been saying the likes of, “God bless you” and, “I love you” while being combative with the deputies.

After prosecutors played a series of these body worn camera videos during the January 25th hearing, they had asked that Garrett be held in custody without bail.

Apparently, the content of the videos presented swayed Hillsborough Circuit Judge Catherine Catlin into appeasing the request of the prosecution and denied bail for Garrett on the charge of murder.

On January 19th, Cpl. LaVigne was honored with a procession by those in the law enforcement community following him being laid to rest earlier that day.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Go to Source
Author: Jenna Curren

Author: admin

I'm awesome! What else would I say about myself.