Father of missing 18-month-old arrested for suspicion of murder – turns out he has a huge criminal record

HONOLULU, HI – The Honolulu Police Department have just confirmed the arrest of 40-year-old Travis Rodrigues under suspicion of second-degree murder of his own daughter, 18-month-old Kytana Ancog.

Kytana Ancog was reportedly last seen on January 31st, but officials haven’t confirmed whether they have located the body of the baby girl.

Kytana was reportedly dropped off with her father, Rodrigues, back on January 31st at his Kaulainahee Place home in Aiea.

From then on, both the child and the Rodrigues were not heard from or seen – until authorities announced the arrest of Rodrigues on February 13th.

Police were said to have located Rodrigues during the afternoon of February 13th within the Ko’olina area, and the suspect remains in custody at the Honolulu Police Department headquarters.

While no further details on the criminal investigation have been shared by authorities, it turns out that Rodrigues has a bit if a criminal history – as well as having gone under different aliases before in the past.

According to criminal records, Rodrigues has also previously used the name “Travis Heffelfinger” and has previous convictions from the early 2000s related to terroristic threats, criminal contempt, and third-degree theft.

The terroristic threats convictions related to an incident that occurred back in May of 2001, where Rodrigues found himself sentenced to probation for the two counts he was convicted of.

Back in June of 2002, Rodrigues was also found guilty of contempt of court and was ordered to pay a $100 fine.

Then in March of 2004, Rodrigues was found guilty of third-degree theft, where he was sentenced to a year of probation and 40 hours of community service and subsequent fines.

Additional reports claim that Rodrigues had also served time in federal prison for felony drug and weapons convictions. 

The weapons conviction came from a secret federal indictment from December of 2004, where the government wound up dropping three of five charges related to weapons and methamphetamine distribution.

Rodrigues was said to have pleaded guilty to distribution of five grams or more of methamphetamine and carrying a firearm during and in relation to a drug trafficking offense.

After his release from prison, Rodrigues was said to have violated his parole in 2015, 2016 and 2017 – leading him to being eventually sentenced back to prison for an additional 15 months. 

The grandmother of Kytana, Lisa Mora, spoke with the Honolulu Star-Advertiser on the day Rodrigues was arrested, stating that while she knew little about her daughter’s relationship with Rodrigues, she said that her daughter was apparently afraid of him: 

“From what I learned, she was scared of this guy and doesn’t want to say anything. I just want my granddaughter back.”

“She is a happy, bright, normal child. She is always curious, playing and laughing. She loves music, playing with the dogs. It’s hard because she’s really trusting.”

Officials have not yet shared information on what has led them to believe that 18-month-old Kytana Ancog was murdered.

This is an ongoing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather updates on this case.

In other recent cases related to missing children, a 15-year-old girl was recently reunited with her family in January after she’d been missing for nearly two weeks. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

But the case in question seems to have been a situation involving a teen runaway scenario – after the young girl had been reportedly talking to older men online. 

Here’s that previous report. 


BELMONT, MA – On the evening of January 17th, 15-year-old Nya Brown had left her home and hadn’t been seen for nearly two weeks.

After the FBI got involved with the search alongside local law enforcement, the teen has since been located and was reunited with her family on January 28th.

It was on Sunday January 17th, at approximately 6:00 p.m., when Nya left her home, leaving behind her cell phone and debit card and went missing for 11 days.

Days after the teen was deemed missing, the FBI’s Boston division joined up with the Belmont Police Department to assist in searching for the missing girl.

At the time that the collaborative effort was announced, a spokesperson for the FBI’s Boston division confirmed that resources from the agency’s Child Exploitation-Human Trafficking Task Force was being afforded to local law enforcement:

“The FBI is postured to assist the Belmont Police Department with whatever resources they need. We can add manpower to the investigation, including special agents who are specifically trained and experienced in missing children matters.”

Officials said at the time when the young girl was still missing, local law enforcement had been utilizing social media to create awareness of the situation while asking the public for information about Nya’s whereabouts.

Come the afternoon of January 28th, and investigators from the FBI Boston’s division and the Belmont Police Department – along with general law enforcement resources from Boston, Arlington, and Dedham – located the teen girl.

At the time of Nya’s recovery, the Belmont Police Department released the following statement:

“She has been reunited with her family. We would like to thank the public for its assistance and all of you for publicizing this case.”

Officials have not publicly released any details as to where exactly the missing girl was located, or how authorities learned of her whereabouts. Sources allege Nya was found at a Holiday Inn in Dedham, with witnesses from the hotel saying that the girl didn’t want to be taken by agents or want any help from her parents.

No details have been released as to why the girl left the home on January 17th, but apparently Nya had been allegedly communicating with older men online prior to her disappearance.

What was known, while the investigation and search for the girl was still ongoing, were some minute details with regard to her current living circumstances.

Apparently, Nya used to live with her mother in Illinois, and had just recently moved in with her father in Belmont, Massachusetts.

When Nya went missing, there were two notes left behind in the home – one which was titled “How to run away untraceable” and the second was a six-page goodbye letter that she left behind.

The father of the teen girl said that she was taken to a local hospital after being recovered just to ensure that she’s okay.

There’s currently no information on whether there are any suspects alleged to have been involved or helped facilitate this young girl’s fleeing from her home.

This is a developing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather further insight into this case.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Go to Source
Author: Gregory Hoyt

Author: admin

I'm awesome! What else would I say about myself.