Man charged with five counts of attempted murder after setting booby trap for state troopers

TWINING, MI – A man is facing charges for attempting to murder five Michigan State Police troopers when they attempted to serve a search warrant on his Arenac County home for a fraud complaint.

Police say he set up a booby trap intended to harm the troopers when they entered the home.

On January 19, Troopers were called to investigate an access device fraud involving the use of a stolen credit card. The victim, a woman from Merritt, told police her credit card was used to purchase more than $1,500 worth of items from a West Branch Walmart.

Troopers went to the residence of 67-year-old Roger Allan Broadstone on January 20 to interview him about the fraud. He refused to come outside of his residence and spoke to the troopers through an open window.

He told them to get a search warrant if they wanted to enter the home, a press release from the Houghton Lake Michigan State Police.

Working with Walmart Loss Prevention, troopers obtained surveillance footage showing Broadstone picking up an order purchased with the stolen credit card.

The purchase was made online using the victim’s credit card and Broadstone was listed as the secondary person to pick up the order.

Troopers obtained a search warrant and returned to Broadstone’s home the same day. When they arrived, troopers found Broadstone had barricaded himself inside his home.

Police said he had set up a booby trap and other preparations to harm police.

Troopers were eventually able to take Broadstone into custody.

He is charged with:

  • Five counts of attempted murder
  • Four counts of assaulting/resisting and obstructing police
  • One count of attempting to disarm a police officer firearm
  • One count of attempting to disarm a police officer non-firearm
  • One count of assaulting/resisting and obstructing police causing injury
  • One count of arson preparation to burn a dwelling
  • One count of placing offensive substance with intent to injure, one count of malicious destruction of police property
  • One count of weapons-ammunition possession by a felon.

Broadstone was also charged in the fraud case with one count of illegal use of a financial transaction device and one count of using a computer to commit a crime.

Broadstone’s bond was set by the Arenac County court at $1.125 million and the bond in Ogemaw County, where the fraud occurred, was set at $30,000 10% cash surety.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

U.S. Marshal gunned down, nearly murdered – the shooter was allegedly a security guard hiding in a closet

February 5, 2021

BALTIMORE, MD – A U.S. Marshal was critically injured as well as a 34-year-old suspect was killed during a shootout that transpired in Baltimore on February 4th.

According to officials, the exchanged gunfire transpired while officers were attempting to serve an arrest warrant for the now-deceased suspect.

U.S. Marshals Commander Don Snider stated that deputies were attempting to arrest Dontae Green at approximately 6:45 a.m. within the Sandtown-Winchester neighborhood.

However, the suspect was said to have opened fire at deputies while inside of a closet during this attempted serving of the arrest warrant.  

Predictably, deputies returned fire on the suspect, fatally wounding Green.

The purpose for the arrest warrant being served at the time, according to Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison, was that Green was wanted for an incident that transpired on January 30th where he allegedly shot at police.

Reports from the January 30th incident alleged that Green, who was said to be a security guard of a grocery store called Compare Foods located in North Baltimore, had apparently gotten enraged over the amount of money on his paycheck, according to Commissioner Harrison:

“This resulted from the security guard being in a dispute about his paycheck. He was enraged that his pay was incorrect. That’s the genesis for this complaint, and that’s the genesis for the call to the officers about an armed suspect inside of the store.”

Baltimore Police officers were called out to the grocery store located within the Alameda Marketplace at around 12:30 in the afternoon on January 30th and reportedly confronted the then-irate Green.

From there, police say that Green started shooting at police before fleeing the scene. While no officers were harmed during the January 30th incident, one store employee was reportedly shot in the arm – but the injury wasn’t life-threatening.

The alleged preceding events conveyed by officials are what led to U.S. Marshals attempting to place Green into custody on February 4th.

Officials have yet to publicly  identify the marshal who was wounded during the incident on February 4th, however, the marshal was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center and was reported as having suffered serious injuries while recovering from surgery and is currently on life support.  

Dr. Thomas Scalea, who serves as the physician in chief at the Shock Trauma Center, says that the wounded marshal is far from being out of the woods following his surgery:

“We’re very hopeful, but you just never know… It’s just too early.”

The injured deputy marshal was described as a member of the outfit’s special operations group and a former veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps.

Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott expressed the following sentiments with regard to the men and women tasked with apprehending these sorts of violent fugitives as being the city’s “heroes”:

“Those who are going down and trying to track these folks down who want to recklessly act with firearms in our city are heroes.”

Interestingly, back in January of 2018 police had once responded to Green’s home due to him reportedly barricading himself inside of his bedroom while armed.

However, that incident was able to be diffused and it’s unclear how the January 2018 matter even originated. In that incident, Green was arrested, but those charges wound up going by the wayside for unknown reasons.

This is currently an ongoing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather further insight into this developing case. 

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Facebook Follow First

Go to Source
Author: Scott A. Davis

Author: admin

I'm awesome! What else would I say about myself.