Got him! Police capture felon who they say shot three deputies at a Houston nightclub

HOUSTON, TX – Law enforcement officials have recently provided an update regarding the Houston nightclub shooting that saw a woman killed and three Harris County Sheriff’s deputies injured, identifying the suspect taken into custody.

However, it seems that with the identity of the suspect revealed, therein lies even more questions about this sordid incident. 

Police identified the suspect allegedly involved in the January 3rd shooting incident outside of the Set Nightclub as 25-year-old Joseph Anthony Gonzalez.

And the woman that was shot and killed was his own mother.

However, Gonzalez has not been charged with murder as of this time, so it’s unclear whether investigators believe the Gonzalez’s weapon resulted in his mother’s death. 

The suspect is reportedly still being treated at the hospital following the encounter between him and law enforcement following the shooting incident outside of the club on January 3rd. 

But he is said to be facing charges of aggravated assault against a public servant and felon in possession of a weapon. According to reports, Gonzalez is a registered sex offender and hosts previous convictions of burglary, indecency with a child, and obstruction. 

His bond is currently set at $100,000. 

Here’s our previous report that we ran on the shooting earlier. 


HOUSTON, TX – Officials say that one woman was killed and that three Harris County Sheriff’s deputies were injured in a shooting incident that transpired outside of a Houston nightclub during the early morning hours of January 3rd. 

According to reports, the shooting occurred at approximately 2:20 a.m. just outside of the Set Nightclub, which is reportedly located nearby the intersection of Travis and Anita streets. 

The three deputies that were injured during the incident were working additional jobs not related to the HCSO when they were shot and injured during the incident. 

From what officials revealed thus far, the shooting was preceded by some sort of a physical altercation taking place in the parking lot. When the three deputies were attempting to break up the skirmish, a suspect began opening fire into the crowd that had amassed. 

Said gunfire struck the three deputies and someone currently identified as a Hispanic woman approximately 40-years-old. The female victim was transported to a local hospital where she was later pronounced deceased. 

As for the deputies injured during the incident, they were only identified as two males and one female deputy. The female deputy was said to have been shot in the abdomen, while one of the male deputies was hit in the foot and the other shot in the hand and legs. 

All three deputies were transported to area hospitals, with all expected to survive. One of the deputies was said to have undergone surgery for their sustained injury. 

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez referred to the deputies injured as “fairly seasoned deputies,” citing that two of them hosted about 11 years’ worth of service and the other having been with the department for roughly five years. 

Sheriff Gonzalez noted that all things considered, mattes could’ve turned out far worse than what they played out as:

“A tragic night but it could’ve been a lot worse. We’re just going to be out here lifting them up. We’re strong, we’re together and we’re going to pull through this.”

“We’re going to make sure that both our agencies continue to work together in full support of the families. That’s the most important thing. And obviously, condolences as well to the young adult, the 40-year-old that was pronounced earlier during this incident as well.”

A suspect, currently only identified as a male in his 20s, was taken into custody.

However, executive Assistant Police Chief Troy Finner noted that officials have yet to determine what motivated the suspect to allegedly open fire into the crowd:

“I don’t know what led him to shoot into a crowd where there were police officers and other citizens but we’ll find out. The investigation is still at the preliminary point.”

Overall, Sheriff Gonzalez is happy that the deputies are going to make a full recovery: 

“It looks like all three are gonna pull out but, a very scary moment, you know, at the heels of what we went through just last night but hopefully they’re able to make a full recovery.”

The mentioning of what the HCSO went through “just last night” is a reference to the death of HCSO 20-year veteran Sgt. Bruce Watson. The sheriff’s sergeant had passed away while off duty in a motorcycle crash after coming back from a funeral procession he led. 

This is an ongoing investigation. 

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather further details on this case. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out. LET Unity

On January 1st, two deputies were injured after coming under fire when responding to reports of a suspect phoning in threats to various public buildings and law enforcement agencies. 

Here’s that previous report. 


PUEBLO WEST, CO – Two Pueblo County Sheriff’s deputies were shot by a suspect on January 1st, after checking on a local who was reportedly phoning in threats to both the Tennessee State Patrol and the Tennessee Capitol building. 

One deputy was hit in the shoulder, while the other was shot on the top of the head – amazingly, both deputies are expected to make a full recovery. 

The incident began when the sheriff’s office was alerted to a local resident, later identified as 48-year-old Edie Lovins, that had been calling in threats to the Tennessee State Patrol and the Tennessee Capitol building. 

What the specific nature of those phoned-in threats were are unclear as of this time. 

Sheriff’s deputies attempted to make contact with Lovins regarding the over-the-phone threats during the morning hours of January 1st in the area of Tenderfoot Lane in the Pueblo West. However, deputies were unable to locate Lovins at the time. 

At approximately 3:25 p.m. that day, Sgt. Rude and Deputy Berumen attempted to make contact again and were allegedly fired upon by Lovins when they arrived in the area. 

The two deputies were rushed to a hospital for treatment for their injuries, and were reportedly released mere hours after the two of them had been shot. 

As for the suspect, a standoff ensued which involved the sheriff’s office’s tactical team after Lovins allegedly shot Sgt. Rude and Deputy Berumen. Officials say that the suspect was subdued by authorities after a non-lethal round was used on him. 

Officials noted that the bomb squad was also involved in the matter and had cleared the scene by around 9:00 p.m. on January 1st. It’s unclear as to what specifically prompted the bomb squad’s involvement in the matter. 

Authorities believe that alcohol may have played a factor in the alleged crimes committed by Lovins. 

Lovins is said to be facing two counts of attempted murder following his arrest, and officials say that there are expected charges to be coming from the state of Tennessee for Lovins’ alleged threats directed toward agencies and buildings there. 

This is a developing investigation. 

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather further insight into this matter. 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Facebook Follow First

Go to Source
Author: Gregory Hoyt

Author: admin

I'm awesome! What else would I say about myself.