New York City ‘bail reform’: Bronx judge releases teen murder suspect – twice

BRONX, NY- Bail reform, COVID-19 releases and a number of other things have seriously flawed the justice system in recent years. 

It has come to light that a Bronx judge released a teen murder suspect, not once but twice, allowing him to harm others again. 

Supreme Court Justice Denis Boyle freed 16-year-old Jordon Benjamin without bail after allegedly stabbing a young woman, Amya Hick in the stomach. 

The worst part about Benjamin’s most recent crime however, is he was set free despite two pending cases of violent crimes against him. 

The first case against Benjamin is from Christmas Eve 2019. Sixty-year-old Juan Fresnada was walking with his roommate when police said the pair were assaulted by a group of teenagers, one of those teen’s allegedly including Benjamin, The New York Post reported.

Video of the brutal attack shows that the teens brutally stomped on Fresnada and beat him with a garbage can. He died from his injuries three days later at Lincoln Hospital, police said.

That vicious beating, and the loss of life, was all for $1, which is what the teens made off with.

Benjamin was initially confined to the Crossroads Juvenile Center in Brooklyn on a manslaughter charge but freed by Boyle in March due to concerns over the coronavirus behind bars, The New York Post reported.

Then on December 14th, Benjamin allegedly slashed Hicks on Intervale Avenue in the Bronx, not far from his Hall Place home.

He was arrested three days later and charged with felony assault and attempted assault, and misdemeanor weapons possession, but was again released by Judge Boyle without bail at his arraignment.

Benjamin’s alleged victims and their families are now furious over the fact that this extremely dangerous teen is being allowed to walk the streets despite his repeated heinous crimes.

On Monday, December 28th, 33-year-old Tynisha Smith, the mother of Amya Hicks said:

“This is crazy, we thought he was still in jail,”  

She continued:

“She doesn’t have an order of protection or nothing. He’s local. He hangs out two blocks away.”

She went on to say:

“Nobody called us, I’m going to ring her now and tell her to get home. They didn’t give us a heads up or nothing. This is ridiculous. He can hurt another person.”

According to Smith, her daughter spent two days in the hospital and underwent surgery to treat her wounds.

Also on Monday, 30-year-old Bayron Caceres, the roommate of Benjamin’s alleged first victim, Juan Fresnada, said when he heard the news of Benjamin’s freedom:

“I’m shocked,”  

He went on to say:

“It’s injustice,”

Caceres continued:

“I thought he was on trial. I thought he was in jail. It is unbelievable to me, the injustice.”

According to the post, Fresnada’s building is just steps away from where Benjamin and his friends regularly hang out.

A neighbor told The Post:

“I can’t believe they let him back out here,”

The neighbor went on to say:

“Now I gotta keep looking back over my shoulder.”

In response to the backlash that Boyle is now receiving, the state Office of Court Administration released a statement that said Boyle followed the law.

OCA spokesman Lucian Chalfen said in the statement:

“Judges follow the law and the law clearly states that the least restrictive alternative should be the preeminent driver in bail consideration,” 

Chalfen continued in the statement:

“Once released on his manslaughter charge, this defendant returned to court for all subsequent appearances, and the expectation is that that will continue with the new charge,” 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Man with numerous arrests for assaulting police officers released from jail again thanks to NYC’s ‘bail reform’

October 11, 2020

NEW YORK CITY, NY – Another sordid tale of New York City’s revolving door of arrest and release for alleged miscreants comes in the form of an 18-year-old male whose been allegedly very criminally active this summer.

A man who had been accused of everything from head-butting a police officer to larceny this year has been released from custody on October 10th for reportedly assaulting a cop yet again after having been arrested just three days earlier.

Angel Rivera may only be 18, but he’s already managed to accumulate numerous arrests this year. On June 3rd, Rivera was charged with menacing for threatening to shoot a man while reaching into his backpack simultaneously.

While it turns out Rivera didn’t have a gun in that incident, him allegedly saying “I will shoot you,” to another individual was what began an active summer of arrests for him.

Come July 22nd, Rivera was arrested for second-degree assault after having been spotted among a group of roughly 15 people that were blocking traffic at the intersection of Lafayette and Worth Streets.

When Rivera was among the group that refused to leave the intersection, he allegedly threw a “heavy object” at a police officer and then pushed one cop and kicked another while officers were trying to enact the arrest.

On that very same day when Rivera was arrested for the assault, he was also charged with larceny for allegedly using the credit card – that he was unauthorized to use – which belonged to a woman who had a court-issued order of protection against him.

Moving on to September 18th, Rivera was reportedly blocking traffic once again at LaGuardia Place and Washington Square South. Rivera was given a desk appearance ticket for resisting arrest, which during the arrest in question, Rivera allegedly head-butt one officer and kicked another.

Speaking to the New York Post, a senior law enforcement source stated the following about the case:

“It’s not like we’re not giving second chances, but there comes a point where enough is enough. I mean, he head-butted a cop, and we’re still giving second chances.”

And those “second chances” just keep rolling in.

On October 7th, Rivera was arrested under charges for criminal possession of a weapon, assault and resisting arrest. During that incident, police say that Rivera was involved in some sort of brawl taking place outside the 79th Precinct in Brooklyn.

Law enforcement sources say that Rivera had attacked police officers with a metal barrier and then punched an officer in the face when he was being arrested. That assault led to the officer having to check in to the Bellevue Hospital.

Speaking to the New York Post, another law enforcement source betrayed a sense of lacking faith in how “the administration” deals with individuals like Rivera:

“I guess the administration thinks it’s OK to keep releasing him. At this point we’re just working on hope, there is no plan.”

Rivera’s latest release was reportedly due to him bonding out, which the bond was set at $10,000

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Go to Source
Author: K. Winters

Author: admin

I'm awesome! What else would I say about myself.