NEW ORLEANS, LA – While groups such as Antifa and Black Lives Matter have been openly allowed to protest (riot) in the streets of almost every major city across the U.S., it appears as though everyone else who gathers should be condemned for doing so during a pandemic.
Mayor LaToya Cantrell of New Orleans, has said that she does not want singer Lauren Daigle to perform during the annual “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” event in her city.
The reason for this? Mayor Cantrell is still quite upset at Daigle, a Louisiana native, for taking part in an unpermitted worship rally in Jackson Square last month.
The call for Daigle to be removed from the lineup comes from a Nov. 7 rally and concert in the French Quarter. Cantrell says the event was unpermitted and in violation of public health guidelines. https://t.co/dCDH4Usj4e
— KTBS (@KTBS) December 11, 2020
Despite the fact that a large group gathered, most of the people at the event were not wearing masks, which apparently made matters worse.
Cantrell says Daigle and the event organizers violated public health guidelines and put lives at risk amid the pandemic, according to FOx8.
Cantrell wrote a letter to the organizers of the “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” celebration, which said:
“Ms. Daigle cannot and should not be rewarded with national media exposure and a public spotlight. She harmed our people; she risked the lives of our residents and she strained our first responders in a way that is unconscionable in the midst of a public health crisis.”
Cantrell is asking organizers to select a different performer for the New Year’s Eve event.
Daigle is an American contemporary Christian music singer and songwriter. After being signed to the label Centricity Music, she released her debut album, How Can It Be, in 2015.
In addition to two Grammy Awards, Daigle has won seven GMA Dove Awards, five Billboard Music Awards, two American Music Awards, and has had four No. 1 singles on both the Billboard Christian Airplay and Hot Christian Songs chart.
Mayor LaToya Cantrell is urging producers of “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” to remove Louisiana native Lauren Daigle from its live broadcast lineup.
— NOLA.com (@NOLAnews) December 11, 2020
Cantrell says she met with Daigle today about her concerns.
In March, Law Enforcement Today reported that Cantrell stirred up some controversy, when she apparently blamed the president because SHE allowed the annual Mardi Gras celebrations to take place.
Mardi Gras took place on February 28, at a time when the coronavirus spread had begun overtaking the United States, and New Orleans had become one of the so-called “hot zones” where the virus had spread substantially in a concentrated area.
While New York state had received the most focus as the apparent epicenter of the outbreak in the U.S., at the time, Orleans Parish had the most cases per capita in the country by a lot, according to NOLA.com.
In an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN, he asked Cantrell if Mardi Gras should have been canceled this year.
While deflecting from herself and deferring to the federal government, Cantrell said:
“Well if red flags were given at the federal level leadership matters. So, while I was first in the state of Louisiana to stop social gatherings, I had to cancel the St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
“All hell broke loose when I did that. It was necessary, given the data, allowing science to lead us. It does matter.
“We rely on the facts to make decisions for the people that we serve. Given no red flags, we moved forward.
“In hindsight, if we were given clear direction, we would not have had Mardi Gras and I would have been the leader to cancel it.”
“No red flags were given” by the federal government. – New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell on why the city moved forward with Mardi Gras celebrations. “If we were given clear direction we would not have had Mardi Gras and I would’ve been the leader to cancel it.” pic.twitter.com/pAsEC5lMkz
— The Situation Room (@CNNSitRoom) March 26, 2020
It is not just Cantrell who seemingly turns a blind eye to Antifa and Black Lives Matter, while condemning religious gatherings.
In October, Law Enforcement Today brought you a story of Mayor de Blasio’s fining five Orthodox Jewish groups $15,000 each in New York City for having large gatherings without masks.
Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.
Five Orthodox Jewish institutions were each fined $15,000 for violating coronavirus health restrictions by having more than 10 people inside their religious facilities.
NEW: Five #BoroughPark religious institutions were levied $15,000 fines for having more than 10 people inside. It’s a violation of the city health code, per @NYCSHERIFF. None were shutdown because the agency has no authority to do so.
— 𝐌𝐲𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐍. 𝐌𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐫 (@MylesMill) October 11, 2020
According to reports, for five hours, approximately 300 Orthodox congregants, led by a rabbi, who has tested positive for COVID-19, packed into the Bobov-45 synagogue on Friday, October 10th, without masks and despite Governor Andrew Cuomo’s (D-NY) recent move to limit gatherings in houses of worship to 25% capacity or 10 people maximum.
Some of these videos circulating from last night in Borough Park are pretty incredible.
At least when the lockdowns were done by zip code, people understood that, even if imperfect. Now, Orthodox Jews feel their neighborhoods are being singled out. pic.twitter.com/AzkeL3nyw8
— Zack Fink (@ZackFinkNews) October 7, 2020
Mordechai Dovid Unger, the grand rabbi of the Hasidic dynasty, led the ceremony from behind a plexiglass shield. In a recent Instagram post, the local news site BoroPark24 reported that Unger had tested positive for COVID-19 and was experiencing mild symptoms.
People from Borough Park, Brooklyn’s Orthodox Jewish community protested, defied cop orders to disperse, & lit fires “in protest of new state mandated restrictions imposed on area synagogues, schools and non-essential businesses over a COVID-19 surge.” https://t.co/jlA5Ad7tGW pic.twitter.com/jNhRwQLENo
— Ash J (@AshAgony) October 7, 2020
According to reports, two members of the Bobov-45 community said that they were shocked by Unger’s decision to return to the synagogue for full service. One of them who attended the service said:
“My reaction was, ‘that’s very selfish and unethical and just crazy.’”
Another member of the community said:
“I used to be there all the time, but it’s just not safe. They’re not doing the right thing”
My cousin, one of the Bobov Rebbes (biggest Hasidic sect in Borough Park, Brooklyn), wearing a mask in public today.
First time I see a (picture of a) major Hasidic Rabbe in Brooklyn wearing one. Credit where credit is due.
Hopefully the beginning of a trend.
— Abby Stein (@AbbyChavaStein) September 27, 2020
Six coronavirus clusters have cropped up in Brooklyn, Queens, Broome, Orange, and Rockland counties. The state has recently closed schools and non-essential businesses in those areas as well as limited gatherings of large numbers.
Cuomo’s decision to limit the capacity of large gatherings, including religious services in the “cluster” zone, has outraged many in the Orthodox community, prompting fierce protests that have erupted into violence.
Allegedly, a lawsuit that was filed by an ultra-Orthodox party seeking a restraining order on the Governor’s decision was rejected by a judge.
NYPD tried to break up a huge Sukkot party in Crown Heights tonight — and met fierce resistance from ultra-Orthodox revelers pic.twitter.com/sS8VuDaAUo
— Jake Offenhartz (@jangelooff) October 6, 2020
Another person who attended the religious services said:
“It seems like no one’s concerned. Everyone believes they got the virus already.”
Both Cuomo and de Blasio have repeatedly promised a large-scale enforcement effort in cluster areas, however, that has yet to be seen until recently with the mayor announcing that houses or worship that do not comply with the new restrictions could be fined $15,000 per day.
Some Hasidic health care workers have warned that the festivities, such as observing Hoshana Rabbah and the final day of Sukkot could accelerate the spread of the virus. Blima Marcus, an ultra-Orthodox nurse practitioner in Borough Park said:
“I don’t see how that can end well.”
The Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn also sued the state in federal court, claiming that Cuomo’s plan would effectively force over two dozen of its churches to close its doors. U.S. District Judge Eric Komitee called the case a “difficult decision,” but essentially sided with Cuomo in denying the church’s request for a temporary restraining order.
Komitee said in his ruling:
“The government is afforded wide latitude in managing the spread of deadly diseases under the Supreme Court’s precedent.”
The noise — and smell of smoke — heard 5 blocks away as police and FDNY arrive to disperse the crowed pic.twitter.com/byOubETR2v
— Jacob Kornbluh (@jacobkornbluh) October 7, 2020
Fox News reported that the number of New Yorkers hospitalized with the coronavirus continues to rise, which is one of the reasons authorities heightened their focus on banning mass gatherings in COVID-19 hotspots.
Cuomo recently announced that 826 people were hospitalized, which is the highest number since July 15th. On Friday, October 10th, state officials said that eight New Yorkers died from COVID-19.
Since the crackdown on large gatherings, law enforcement officials have delivered 60 summonses. The new restrictions are in place for at least two weeks. They will not be lifted until the infection rate trend reverts to the numbers New York saw over the summer.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Go to Source
Author: K. Winters