“Horse Solider” Replaces Esper Whose Final Email was Honorable, Is it Time to Bring in the Soldiers?

Mark Esper has been fired by President Donald J. Trump and he has been replaced by someone described as a “Horse Soldier” as the Secretary of National Defense, the story that emerges from look at the intersection of both points of data may show that the Media’s harassment of administration officials could be like facing a type of war.

Esper’s final email to his Pentagon staff did not pick a conflict with Trump, Esper honored the work he had done during his time with the Trump administration, he is replaced by a combat soldier.

ENTER THE HORSE SOLDIER:

ESPER’S EMAIL

Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper, who was fired by President Donald J. Trump on Twitter, issued a final memo to Pentagon staff, after no real surprise to anyone because Esper had had conflicts with Trump over the riots around the country starting in May.

Esper argued with Trump over several high-profile military issues, including the potential use of active-duty troops to quell civil unrest in riots under the Insurrection Act.

Esper’s farewell memo, however, avoided controversy and denunciation, dwelling instead on Defense Department milestones and accomplishments during the 18 months he spent in the position.

“Together, we have made solid progress implementing the National Defense Strategy by modernizing the force, improving its readiness, strengthening ties with allies and partners, and reforming the Department to make it more efficient. We have also made major strides in taking care of our military personnel, spouses, and their families, and launched important initiatives to improve diversity, inclusion, and equity in the armed services,” Esper wrote in the memo.

“At the same time, we stood up the Space Force and Space Command, recapitalized the nuclear triad, expanded the authorities and resources of Cyber Command, and proposed a bold vision for a future Navy.”

U.S. Space Force will mark its first birthday as a military service Dec. 20, a month before the inauguration of Joe Biden as the 46th president of the United States. Esper has also been behind an aggressive push for a larger Navy fleet, calling recently for 500 ships — well beyond the 355 the service previously said it needed.

Esper said these developments had “improved the security of the United States and advanced our interests abroad.” He noted further that these steps had taken place in the context of a global pandemic, threats from Iran, the specter of Russia and China, ongoing deployments to the Middle East and “a charged political atmosphere here at home.”

“In my first message to the Department in June 2019, I emphasized the great importance I place on a commitment by all, and especially Leaders, to those values and behaviors that represent the best of the military profession and mark the character and integrity of the Armed Forces the American people respect and admire,” Esper wrote. “I want to thank you all for living up to that standard, for remaining apolitical, and for honoring your oath to the Constitution. While I step aside knowing that there is much more we could accomplish together to advance America’s national security, there is much achieved in the time we had to improve the readiness, capabilities, and professionalism of the joint force, while fundamentally transforming and preparing it for the future.”

Military.com reported, “Esper, who previously served as Army secretary, also pushed through the DoD “night court” reforms, echoing a similar Army effort, which cut a reported $7 billion in Defense Department spending.

A former Army infantry officer, he worked for the conservative think tank Heritage Foundation, as a congressional staffer, and later for defense industry giant Raytheon before becoming Army secretary in 2017. He was sworn in as defense secretary July 23, 2019.”

In late October, The New York Times called Esper, a “dead man walking,” after harassing him calling him a “Yes Man” and mocking him in the media.

Esper is replaced by Christopher C. Miller, former director of the National Counterterrorism Center, as acting defense secretary.

“Stay focused on your mission, remain steadfast in your pursuit of excellence, and always do the right thing,” he said. “Following these imperatives will ensure you remain the most ready, respected, and capable military force in the world, which is what our Nation expects and deserves.”

esper_letter.pdf

Military.com reported on Esper’s replacement:

“When President Donald Trump announced Monday via tweet that he’d fired Defense Secretary Mark Esper and installed Christopher C. Miller, head of the National Counterterrorism Center, as acting civilian leader of the Pentagon, some Washington insiders scratched their heads.

Miller, though a former deputy assistant secretary of defense for Special Operations and Combating Terrorism, is not among the most prominent national security names, and the move from leading the relatively small four-directorate NCTC to the entire Defense Department represents a leap.”

But those who know the former Army Special Forces officer and have worked with him describe him as a standout leader who has, at every level of his career, kept perspective on the national impacts of his work and overarching defense strategy.

As a company commander with 5th Special Forces Group, Miller helped to direct the first, covert invasion of Afghanistan following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. A small number of Green Berets from 5th Group, some of them on horseback, were sent to defeat the Taliban in an operation depicted years later in the feature film “12 Strong.”

I will be following any shifts or changes in policy.

The post “Horse Solider” Replaces Esper Whose Final Email was Honorable, Is it Time to Bring in the Soldiers? appeared first on DJHJ Media.

Go to Source
Author: Kari Donovan