The New York state Democratic presidential primary will take place as planned next month, a judge ruled Tuesday.
Last week, Democrats on the state board of elections voted to remove all the presidential candidates who had suspended their campaigns, leaving former Vice President Joe Biden as the only name on the ballot, and canceled the presidential primary due to coronavirus concerns.
The preliminary injunction, granted by United States District Judge Analisa Torres, came in response to a lawsuit from former presidential candidate and CNN contributor Andrew Yang and several New Yorkers who had hoped to serve as his delegates to the Democratic National Convention.
“I’m glad that a federal judge agreed that depriving millions of New Yorkers of the right to vote was wrong,” Yang said in a statement. “I hope that the New York Board of Elections takes from this ruling a newfound appreciation of their role in safeguarding our democracy.”
The New York Board of Elections must “reinstate to the Democratic primary ballot those presidential and delegate candidates who were duly qualified as of April 26, 2020, and to hold the primary election on June 23, 2020,” the ruling said.
The New York State Board of Elections declined to comment on the ruling Tuesday night.
In her ruling, Torres wrote that Yang and the would-be delegates had “made a clear and substantial showing of likelihood of success on the merits of their claim” that the action by the state board had violated their constitutional rights.
This is a breaking story and will be updated.
The post Judge rules New York Democratic presidential primary will take place as planned appeared first on CNN.
Go to Source